Articles of Association
For The International Society for Academic Advancement
Chapter 1: General Rules
Article 1. (Name)
This Association will be called: The “International Society for Academic Advancement” (The “ISAA”).
Article 2. (Purpose)
The purpose of this association is to promote interdisciplinary convergence research and academic activities in each major field, and to contribute to humanity by improving the knowledge, skills, and experiences of members in the major educational fields.
Article 3. (Location of Administration Office)
In principle, the office of the ISAA Administration Office shall be in the personal office of the university of the ISAA president or as otherwise indicated by the choice of the ISAA President.
Article 4. (Scope of Activities)To achieve the purpose of Article 2, ISAA can conduct the following programs.
- Holding regular scheduled academic conferences,
- Supporting the various academic events and activities
- Supporting the education and training,
- Supporting the international academic exchanges
- Studying the issues related to Journal publication and publication business,
- Other businesses necessary to achieve the purposes of this Association.
Chapter 2. Members
Article 5. (Composition of Members)
The members of this Association are made up of regular members, lifetime members, student members, and general members.
Article 6. (Qualifications for Joining the Membership)
The membership qualifications determined by this association are as follows:
- Regular members: Those who have graduated from a university or have equivalent or higher academic background or experience, or are engaged in related research activities and practice, and have applied for the membership and paid the appropriate membership fees.
- Lifetime members: Those who have paid lifetime membership fees among regular members
- Student members: Those who are studying related fields in undergraduate or graduate programs, and have applied for the membership and paid the appropriate membership fees. but student identity cannot be proven, one must apply as regular members.
- General members: Those who have agreed to the purposes of this Association, and have applied for the membership, and paid the appropriate membership fees.
Article 7. (Rights and Obligations of a Member)
- All members have the right to participate in the functional activities of this Association and may express their opinions and suggestions.
- Regular members have the right to vote and to be elected to hold the formal Offices
- Members must abide by the articles of this Association and comply with the voted Articles and all regulations decided by the Association.
- Members must pay a prescribed yearly membership fee to be recognized as a member.
Article 8. (Membership registration and Withdrawal)
- To become a member of this association, one must submit an application form and pay a prescribed yearly membership fee.
- Members may freely withdraw from the Association at any time during the year, but membership fees are non-refundable
- Failure to pay the membership fees for more than two years may result in suspension of membership.
Chapter 3. Executives
Article 9. (Composition of Executives)The officers of this association are as follows:
- A President,
- A Senior Vice President,
- Several Vice Presidents (as needed to supply the function best for the ISAA Activities, Research, and Programs),
- Board Members: 5 or more, and not more than 99 members (including the President, Senior Vice President, and Vice Presidents), (A 99 Membership prevents STALEMATES, with the President breaking all Voting Ties)
- Several Division Directors (as needed for optimal international function),
- Two Auditors.
Article 10. (Executives Term of Office)
The term of ISAA officers is two years and may be reappointed. However, the replacement of LOST or DISMISSED executives, elected by the General or Temporary Assembly election, shall fill the remaining term of their predecessors.
Article 11. (Election of Executives)
- The President and Chief Auditor are recommended by the Board members and elected by the ISAA General Assembly in session or Temporary Assembly.
- The Senior Vice President is appointed by the President from among the Vice Presidents.
- Vice Presidents may be appointed by the ISAA President according to the needs for his/her duties.
- Board Members are elected and asked by the ISAA President from among regular members.
- One cannot hold positions of Board Member and the Auditor at the same time.
Article 12. (Duties of the Officers)The duties of the officers of this Association are as follows:
- The Advisor is responsible for the advisory role of the plenary.
- The ISAA President represents the Association, oversees all the activities and programs, and serves as the Chairman of the General Assembly and all the Board Meetings
- The Senior Vice President assists the President and may be delegated to act on behalf of the President in the absence of the President.
- The Vice Presidents oversees the Academic Division Directors, decides on overall activities and programs, and may be delegated to act on behalf of the Vice President and the President in their absence.
- Board Members constitute the Formal Board Meeting. They decide all matters of the Association and perform the delegated work by the Board Meeting or the President.
- The Director of each Academic Division decides the current Division goals and oversees the progress of the current Programs or Research to reach the ISAA Goals.
Article 13. (Duties of Auditors)The duties of the Auditor are as follows.
- Audit the property situation and the on-going financial accounting status.
- Supply an Audit on matters related to the operation of the Board Meetings and their duties.
Article 14. (Counselors and Advisors)
- For the development and promotion of the ISAA, some Counselors and Advisors may be appointed.
- Counselors and Advisory members are appointed by the President upon recommendations from the ISAA Board Members.
Chapter 4. General Assembly
Article 15. (Composition of the General Assembly)
- The General Assembly is the highest decision-making body and consists of Fee-paying regular ISAA members.
- The President of ISAA serves as Chairman of the General Assembly.
Article 16. (Classification and Convocation of the General Assembly)
- The General Assembly is divided into a regular ISAA General Assembly and an Temporary ISAA General Assembly.
- The regular General Assembly is convened by the President once a year, and the Temporary ISAA General Assembly is convened by the President when requested by no less than 1/3 of the Board Members.
- The place, date, and agenda must be specified and notified to the Board Members in writing or electronically no less than two weeks before the Convocation of the General Assembly.
Article 17. (Matters to be decided by the ISAA General Assemblies)
- Matters concerning the election of new or replacement of ISAA executives (President, Auditors)
- Matters concerning the enactment of revision of changes to the ISAA Articles
- Matters concerning the approval of the budget
- Matters concerning approval of major activities and program plans,
- Matters related to the agenda proposed by the Board Meetings,
- Matters concerning the dissolution of this Association,
- Other agendas as they arise and need to be addressed.
Article 18. (Resolutions by the ISAA General Assembly)
- all resolutions of the General Assembly are decided by a majority vote of the number of attendees.
- In the following cases, a resolution is made with the approval of at least a 2/3 Vote by the number of attendees
- (1) Amendment of Articles
- (2) Dissolution of the Association,
- (3) Removal of executives (President, Auditors).
Chapter 5. The Board Meeting
Article 19. (Composition of the Board Meeting)
- The Board Meeting consists of the President, Senior Vice President, Vice Presidents, Board Members and Academic Division Directors.
- The Board Meeting convenes when the President indicates it as being necessary.
- The Board Meeting shall convene if there is a request from at least 1/3 of the Board Members or the 2 Auditors.
Article 20. (Functions of the Board Meeting)
- Matters concerning activities and programs execution,
- Matters concerning the operation of the activities and program plans,
- Matters concerning the preparation of budget statements,
- Matters delegated by the General Assembly,
- Matters belonging to the authority under the Articles of Association,
- Enactment of new and revision of past ISAA regulations,
- Settlement of membership dues and other charges,
- Matters related to Academic Division activities,
- Matters related to the Membership,
- Any other Legal or Voted highlights.
Article 21. (Resolution by the Board Meeting)
- The Board Meeting is established with the attendance of a 51% or higher majority of the Board Members present, and resolutions are made with the affirmative vote of a 51% or higher majority of the Board Members present.
- The Board Meeting only can make a voted decision on the notified agendas. However, this is not the case when all the attending members agree, if it includes a Majority of the ISAA Board Members, and the current legal ISAA President.
- It can be delegated by submitting a Power of Attorney in a prescribed Form to the President. In this case, attendance is recognized, but Voting Rights are not granted.
Chapter 6. Finance and Accounting
Article 22 (Financial Matters)The Finances of this association are covered by the following financial incomes:
- Membership fees,
- All Contributions and donations,
- Other incomes from the Activities Divisions of the ISAA.
Article 23. (Fiscal Year)
The fiscal year of this association shall be from January 1 to December 31.
Article 24. (The Financial Management and Budget Execution)
The financing of this Association is managed by the Administration Office under the responsibility of the ISAA President, and matters related to financial management are determined by the Bylaws and Regulations of the ISAA.
Chapter 7. The ISAA Organization
Article 25. (The ISAA Organization)
- For the smooth operation, the following organizations may be established:
- (1) Academic Divisions Committee
- (2) The ISAA Administration Office
- The ISAA Bylaws, related to Paragraph 1, shall be determined by ISAA Board Meeting.
Chapter 8. The Supplements
Article 26. (The Academic Divisions Research Committee)The ISAA Academic Divisions Research Committee may be established to promote research and educational activities in each Specific Field of the Academic Divisions.
- If there is a Member’s request for the establishment of the Research group, the President approves the establishment through the Resolution of the Board Meeting.
- The policy for the operation and management of the Academic Divisions Research Committee is determined by the formal Board Meeting.
Article 27. (The ISAA Administration Office)
- An Administration Office may be established to manage the affairs of this Association.
- The operation regulations and management methods of ISAA Administration Office shall be determined by the ISAA Board Meeting.
Article 28. (Written ISAA Resolutions)
In case of unavoidable circumstances, the President may convene a written and Virtual meeting of the ISAA Board Meeting to propose and decide on the agenda to be presented to the General Assembly.
Article 29. (Application of ISAA Mutatis Mutandis)
For matters not stipulated in this Articles of Association shall apply Mutatis Mutandis to the Korean Civil Act.
Article 30. (Amendment of Articles)
When there’s need of change the Articles, there should be a submission of the Amendment to the ISAA General Assembly, with the approval of at least a two-thirds Vote of the number of attendees of the Board Members and obtain approval from the General Assembly.
Article 31. (The Dissolution of the Association)
- In the case of Dissolution of ISAA, it MUST be decided at the General Assembly with the consent of at least a two-thirds VOTE of the full membership the ISAA and must report to the competent and legal authority.
- In the event of dissolution of the Association, the disposition of the remaining assets is decided by the General Assembly.
Article 32. (The Liquidation of Assets)
In case of liquidation of Assets, the oldest auditor shall become the Liquidator and perform his/her duties. However, if it is difficult to carry out his/her duties successfully, a person determined by a Voted resolution of the General Assembly shall assign an agent as a Supplementary Auditor to take over his/her duties.
Addendum <2023. 08. 09. >
- These Bylaws of the ISAA Articles of Association shall come into effect from the day they are approved by the General Assembly.
- Matters not stipulated in these articles are subject to General practice.